October 19, 2015

6 Makeup Brushes for a Flawless Face

I cannot emphasize the importance of having good brushes in your makeup drawer. I mean, hello, you will be using them every. single. time. you apply your makeup. This is the starting point to a flawless face. Good quality brushes will give you that seamless finish you've been dying for. 

"YOU CANNOT ACHIEVE GOOD MAKEUP
WITHOUT GOOD TOOLS"
- François Nars

Unfortunately, there is not a "one size fits all" brush for makeup. Each brush is designed for a specific function and has unique properties such as density, size, shape, length of the bristles, etc. Shopping for makeup brushes can be very overwhelming (and expensive!), so here's a little advice to help you along the way...

6 makeup brushes for a flawless face
Model: Olivia Gochnour; Image by Liz Pinckney

FAQ: How to I know a good quality brush is from a bad quality brush?
The first way to distinguish between a good- and a poor-quality brush is by feeling it. Are the bristles soft? Is the brush easy to hold and maneuver in your hand? Are the bristles natural or synthetic? You get what you pay for. Good quality brushes are usually more pricey and can be found at department stores. Synthetic brushes are a lot less expensive; however they don't last as long and tend to lose bristles. These brushes are usually found at drug stores.


FOUNDATION BRUSH

Foundation brushes are my all time favorite as far as soft brushes go. There are many alternatives to foundation brushes (i.e. clean fingers, sponges, etc.) I'm in love with THIS foundation brush; however, I've been using THIS sponge a lot lately.


CONCEALER BRUSH
Concealer brushes are very very dense because they are used to cover dark spots, acne scars, and blemishes. (dense bristles = fuller coverage). I use THIS brush for concealer. THIS is also a great concealer brush that is not as pricey.


BROW BRUSH
Brow brushes have shorter bristles. My all time favorite eyebrow brush is THIS one because it has dual purpose functionality; One side has the angled bristles for applying eyebrow powder, and the other side has stiff 180-degree bristles for blending. 

BRONZER BRUSH

Bronzer brushes are big and dense. Their long bristles are able to pick up lots of powder. I've been eyeing THIS (beautiful) brush; However, a less expensive alternative is THIS is one.

BLUSH BRUSH



Blush brushes are much smaller than a bronzer brush, they're just the perfect size to cover the apples of your cheeks. The brush I'm using right now is decades old, and I wasn't able to find it anywhere online; However, I'm tempted to try THIS one out.


BLENDER BRUSH
I like applying a finishing powder when I'm done with my makeup to help with blending and to set everything.  THIS big, fluffy brush is perfect for that. The long soft bristles pick up loose powder and lightly distribute it everywhere. 


Already have makeup brushes you love?
Well, perhaps it's time to clean them. Makeup brushes should be cleaned at least once a month in order to remove any old makeup, oils, dead skin cells, and bacteria. Using a dirty brush to apply your makeup can cause breakouts. I clean my makeup brushes using THIS gentle cleanser and water.

SEE ALSO: Sara's Must-Have Beauty Products

Thanks for reading!
xo,
Sara

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...